National PhD courses
FIRN’s program of courses are open to all PhD students and early career researchers. All PhD courses (core, elective and master classes) are listed on the FIRN website and promoted in the monthly FIRN email. If you have any questions about the program please email email@example.com.
If you are interested in enrolling in the courses you will need to:
- Download the course syllabus from the FIRN website and ensure that you meet the pre-requisite knowledge requirements.
- Enrol through our online booking system (links will be on the FIRN website). You will need to indicate:
- You have written permission from your PhD Supervisor (or PhD Coordinator) to do the course.
- Whether you are doing the course for credit recognition
- You agree to the FIRN terms and conditions (see below)
- That you have your school’s approval to undertake the course off-campus (for insurance purposes)
- Confirm your ability to enrol with the PhD co-ordinator at your institution
- Forward your enrolment details to the Course co-ordinator who will record your grades in the course and submit the final grades to FIRN
- Forward your final grades to your institution
- Track your enrolment in each course and provide you with a certificate when you complete the eight core courses
Terms and conditions:
- PhD students understand and accept they meet all pre-requisites before enrolling in a FIRN course.
- PhD students understand that FIRN’s PhD program involves “advanced courses” specifically designed to be challenging.
- PhD student enrolments are accepted on the understanding they intend to complete the full course program including all assessment requirements (Note: travel funding approval is often conditional upon students completing the full program).
- PhD students may not attend FIRN courses on a casual basis – no exceptions.
- PhD students have obtained their Supervisor’s approval (in writing) before enrolling.
- If, for any reason, a PhD student is unable to complete the course they must notify their supervisor, PhD co-ordination and FIRN by email. The course co-ordinator is not responsible for managing your enrolment. If PhD students don’t complete all of the assessments then they receive an automatic 2- Fail Did Not Complete recorded on FIRN’s records.
- Academics are also able to enrol in the courses for professional development and should enrol through the online booking system.
- One course auditor per institution is allowed. Course auditors must have a PhD.
2019 program – Semester 1
Presenter: Professor Tom Smith (Macquarie)
Venue: Level 24, 123 Pitt Street, Sydney Macquarie University CBD Campus
Module 1 – 16-17 March 2019
Module 2 – 4-5 May 2019
Module 3 – 18-19 May 2019
Final Exam: Thurs 13 June 2-5pm
2019 Syllabus: click here to download
Presenter: Professor Federico Nardari (Melb)
Venue: University of Melbourne
Module 1: March 30-31
Module 2: 26-27 Apr
Module 3: 24-25 May
Process of Research (elective)
Presenter: Professors Robert Faff (UQ)
Venue: 39A-201 – General Purpose North 3, Collaborative Room, University of Queensland, St Lucia Campus, Brisbane.
Module 1: 23 – 24 Feb 2019
Module 2: 6 – 7 April 2019
Module 3: 18 -19 May 2019
Course syllabus: click here to download
Previous year’s syllabus: click here to download course syllabus
Research Methods (elective)
Co-Presenters: Professor Tom Smith (Macquarie) & Professor Martina Linnenluecke (Macquarie)
Venue: All classes Level 24, 123 Pitt Street Sydney, Macquarie University CBD Campus
5 Day Intensive
Thurs 18-Mon – 22nd July 2019
2019 syllabus: click here to download
Masterclass in Corporate Finance
Special Topic area: Structural Approaches to Corporate Finance
Presenter: Professor Nathalie Moyen (University of Colorado)
Venue: Quadrangle building, level 2, QUAD 2063, UNSW
Dates: 30 June – 6 July, 2019
Course details: Course syllabus available now
Masterclass in Asset Pricing
Special topic area: Intermediary Asset Pricing
Presenter: Professor David Chapman (University of Virginia)
Venue: University of Melbourne
Dates: Sept 29-Oct 5, 2019
Course details: Course syllabus coming soon